SAA appoints Zuks Ramasia as interim CEO

The outgoing CEO, Vuyani Jarana, was meant to vacate office at the end of August, after serving his notice period, but he will now be out by the end of the weekend, with the board saying he will briefly hand over by Monday.

They expressed sadness at his departure.

Jarana said in his resignation letter that the company’s strategy was being “systemically undermined”. He also recently complained about legislation holding back the company’s competitiveness.

In April, Jarana had announced his turnaround strategy for the airline, which was bailed out by the government last year, with R5 billion allocated in the medium-term budget policy statement to help it face a looming debt crisis.

The airline had R19.1 billion worth of government guarantees, of which R14.5 billion were already used and, in March next year, one billion of this will be maturing.

The government said the allocation was to help SAA repay this debt.

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.

Dhladhla siblings granted bail in multimillion-rand fraud case

Zwelakhe Dhladhla and his sister Louis Phumzile Dhladhla, accused of defrauding an attorneys fund of R11 million, were granted R5,000 bail each in the Specialised Commercial Crimes Court, said the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks) on Friday.

The siblings, aged 30 and 40, respectively, own a funeral parlour and another company to which R11 million from Attorneys Development Fund was transferred by the fund’s former CEO, Mkhakhenzi Mokhanzi, who has since died.

Spokesperson Captain Ndivhuo Mulamu said: “They’re alleged to have swindled almost R11 million from the Attorneys Development Fund account into Mogabadeli Funeral between January and October 2018 on numerous occasions. Mokhanzi, the former chief executive officer at the Attorneys Development Fund, colluded with the duo by transferring cash into their funeral services business account as well as another company, Atlegang Deco PTY Ltd, owned by Zwelakhe Dhladhla, which benefited from the illegal proceeds.”

The duo handed themselves to the Hawks in Germiston on Wednesday and appeared in court on Thursday. They are expected back in court on July 24.

– African News Agency

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.

Teacher suspended for allegedly holding a gun in a classroom

The Mpumalanga department of education said in a statement on Friday that they had suspended a 26-year-old male teacher of Mabusabesala Secondary School in Weltevrede in the Dr JS Moroka Local Municipality, who allegedly invigilated a Grade 11 mid-year examination with a gun hanging in his hand.

This incident happened on Monday while learners were writing the tourism paper.

“The department views this in serious light and has already instituted an investigation to understand the circumstances that led to this conduct,” said spokesperson Jasper Zwane.

The department planned to send officials to the school next week to offer counselling to learners who may have been traumatised by it.

“Given the nature of this incident, the school has been directed to open a case with the police.”

The department would monitor the developments at the school closely.

“This is an isolated incident and it may not be tolerated regardless of the circumstances. Those who are involved in the upbringing and moulding of children should always ensure that they set high moral standards.

“The department urges teachers and stakeholders to uphold the honour and dignity of the teaching profession and expose any behaviour that seeks to undermine this virtue.”

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.

Brexit Party fails to win first seat in UK byelection

Anti-EU populist Nigel Farage’s new Brexit Party failed to win its first seat in Britain’s parliament as it lost out to the main opposition Labour Party in a crunch byelection, results on Friday showed.

The poll in the eastern English city of Peterborough was triggered after the sitting MP, Fiona Onasanya, was dumped by voters after being jailed for lying over a speeding offence.

The Brexit Party’s candidate, Mike Greene, a local entrepreneur, came in second with nearly 29% of the vote, behind Labour’s Lisa Forbes.

The ruling Conservatives came third with 21%, while the Liberal Democrats won 12%.

Friday’s result is a setback for the Brexit Party – founded by eurosceptic figurehead Farage only a few months ago – which came out on top in the European elections in May with 31.6% of votes cast.

It had been seeking to capitalise on that momentum as well as voter disillusionment with the main Conservative and Labour parties, who have historically shared the Peterborough seat.

Prime Minister Theresa May is stepping down after delaying Brexit twice as she tried and failed to get her EU divorce deal through parliament.

Farage, who has called for Britain to leave the bloc without a deal, said last weekend while campaigning he saw the by-election as “the opportunity for the next chapter in this great story”.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said that the result “shows that despite the divisions and deadlock over Brexit, when it comes to a vote on the issues that directly affect people’s lives, Labour’s case for real change has strong support across the country”.

The Brexit Party had been heavy favourites to win the Leave-voting seat, but despite losing, their performance will still be a concern to the two main parties.

Labour’s vote share fell by 17% from 2017, and was the lowest ever to win a British by-election, while the Conservatives plunged by 25%.

Leading pollster John Curtice told the BBC said the result showed the country was now in a “different political world”.

“A lot of constituencies are now looking at four-party politics and perhaps in others, five-party politics,” added Farage.

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.

Alec Baldwin Doesn’t Want To Play Trump On ‘Saturday Night Live’ Anymore

HuffPost is now part of the Oath family. We (Oath) and our partners need your consent to access your device, set cookies, and use your data, including your location, to understand your interests, provide relevant ads and measure their effectiveness. Oath will also provide relevant ads to you on our partners’ products. Learn More

How Oath and our partners bring you better ad experiences

To give you a better overall experience, we want to provide relevant ads that are more useful to you. For example, when you search for a film, we use your search information and location to show the most relevant cinemas near you. We also use this information to show you ads for similar films you may like in the future. Like Oath, our partners may also show you ads that they think match your interests.

Learn more about how Oath collects and uses data and how our partners collect and use data.

Select ‘OK’ to allow Oath and our partners to use your data, or ‘Manage options’ to review our partners and your choices. Tip: Sign In to save these choices and avoid repeating this across devices. You can always update your preferences in the Privacy Centre.

Tourist’s first guess unlocks safe that baffled experts for 40 years

VERMILION, Alberta – Over the years, the small Vermilion Heritage Museum in Alberta, Canada, tried everything in its power to unlock an old safe tucked away in its basement.

The museum hired blacksmiths, called the manufacturer, contacted former employees and challenged guests to play around with the safe — but nobody had any success.

Until last month, when a visitor to Vermilion cracked the code on his first try, much to the astonishment of everyone present.

Stephen Mills, from Fort McMurray, Alberta, was on a family camping trip with his wife, his two children and his father-in-law.

“We wanted to check out what the community has to offer,” said Mills. “The museum was actually closed on the day we were there, but we managed to track down one of the volunteers, Tom Kibblewhite, who opened it for us and showed us around.”

After giving the Mills’ family a tour of the whole building, the volunteer proceeded to show them the objects in the basement, including the mysterious safe.

It originally had belonged to the town’s Brunswick Hotel which opened in the early 1900s, Kibblewhite said. When the hotel shut down, in the late 1970s, the safe was locked — and so it had remained.

“It was like a time capsule, nobody had any idea of what was in there,” Mills said.

Like other visitors, Mills was offered the chance to take a crack at opening it.

So he put his ear up to the safe, “just like you see in the movies,” he said, as his two children, aged 4 and 6, stood next to him.

“I looked at the dial and I saw the numbers were running from 0 to 60. So I thought in my head 20-40-60. I did a particular combination which is three on the right, two on the left, and 1 on the right, tried the handle … and it opened!”

“It was a 100% guess,” he said. “I was fully amazed. I stepped back a little bit and thought ‘I’m buying a lottery ticket tonight!’”

The contents of the safe proved a little disappointing.

“Unfortunately there wasn’t what we thought was there,” Mills said. “Some papers, old checks, a waitress’ notepad, and a receipt from the hotel, that’s it.”

All the papers dated back to 1977-8, Mills said.

Nonetheless, Mills said everyone was pretty excited about the lucky guess. “My children kept screaming ‘we beat the code! We beat the code!’” he said.

Nerves tell Ramalepe she’s ready for Spain

The South African senior national women’s team kick-start their World Cup campaign with a  Group B clash against Spain at Stade Oceane, Le Havre in France tomorrow evening.

While Banyana will be making their maiden appearance at the global stage, this will be la Roja’s second appearance at the competition. The defender sees this tie as a very important one for South Africa, stating that it is vital to win your first game in every competition you play and says whichever team gives their all on the day will win the match.

“Looking at the day we qualified for the World Cup in Ghana and now we are nearly to the start of the tournament, I am nervous. Because I never thought the day would come so fast, but I feel that me being nervous shows that I am ready for Saturday,” said the vice-captain.

“Every time you play your first game in a tournament it is like a final because it’s where you have to make sure that you collect three points and whoever puts their best on the day will emerge victorious and that is what we want.”

Banyana will play Spain at the tournament having failed to win a single match since the start of the year during their preparations of the tournament. They go into this game having suffered a heavy 7-2 thrashing at the hands of Norway in their last preparation match.

Ramalepe admits that the loss against the Norwegians was way too embarrassing for the team, but promises that the team will do better on Saturday looking at the support they have received from everyone back home.

“Looking back at the game against Norway is embarrassing. I feel like we are going to do better on Saturday and we as players want to do better because what we are going to do, we will be doing for ourselves. And of course, for the country, because everyone back home has been behind us.”

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.

Would you like to place a soccer bet? Click here to get started in 3 easy steps.

WATCH: Curious hippo’s friend request rejected by irritated rhinos

Head Ranger at Mala Mala Game Reserve Mike Kirkman shot a rare clip of an interaction between a curious hippo and a less-than-amused rhino. The footage was taken near the Airstrip in the Reserve, reports Letaba Herald.

According to a post on Latest Sightings, Mike tells of this rare and interesting, albeit a bit confusing, sighting:

“At the time it was still a very dry season in the reserve and the animals were battling with what little grass there was available. The area around the airstrip was pretty barren and I think the hippo was more curious and lonely, because at the time many of the hippo had already left this area due to the drought. In my opinion, everyone was more confused than anything else at this sighting. It’s not normal to see an interaction like this between any animal – never mind the second and third largest species! As always, when nature throws a curveball like this, as a guide – it is very difficult to explain.”

ALSO READ: WATCH: Two male lions canoodle in power-play display

Kirkman explained that rangers were returning to camp from a drive when they saw the animals, but because of the strict rules around disclosing rhino sighting locations, it wasn’t announced on the radio.

“Yet another unfortunate side effect of the rhino crisis and so in this case, many of our guests and fellow rangers were unable to witness this spectacular yet unusual interaction.”

He said it was normal to view rhino at night, but they were on the main route in and out of the camp, so the interaction was unavoidable.

“I’m not sure what the final outcome of the interaction would have been but we never saw any injured animals afterwards so I can only assume that it ended peacefully. As you can see in the video, it is not an overly aggressive meeting, but more of [a] confused one.

“As I mentioned, I don’t think it had anything to do with food/resource disputes as we were far from the river and there was no grass on the runway to fight over – I think this hippo may have simply been lonely and bored or simply curious.”

Watch the unique interaction:

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.

BMW Z4 designer rules out metal roof option and Z4 M

Speaking to Australian online platform, goauto.com.au, Calvin Luk stated that gains in performance played in a big part in the decision not to make the Z4 available with a metal roof, and that input from BMW’s engineering division had also been taken into account when it came to the decision of offering a soft-top or a folding metal roof.

“From the beginning we knew that it was going to be a soft-top mostly just because of the performance advantage in terms of the weight, so we didn’t need to mock up an alternative to that,” Luk said.

Referencing the Z8 as design inspiration for the Z4 developed in co-operation with Toyota, Luk also stated that no plans are currently place to offer a Z4 M like previous generations, leaving the M40i, whose 250kW/500Nm 3.0-litre turbocharged straight-six also powers the new Supra, as the range flagship for the foreseeable future.

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.

Rolene Strauss to release a book of ‘personal stories’

Former Miss SA and Miss World, Rolene Strauss will soon add ‘author’ to her name as she’s set to release her book in October

The former beauty queen who also graduated with a medical degree in 2017 revealed the exciting news during a Q&A video on YouTube with fans.

“I actually finished it (at the) end of April, and the book will be launching in October this year. I’m really excited about that. I’ve always wanted to write a book,” she said.

Rolene explained that the book will give fans an intimate glimpse into the lessons she’s learnt and personal stories.

“The book’s name is Reflections from the Heart, and (it’s) filled with a lot of reflection, personal stories, things that I’ve learned, and I can’t wait to share that with you.”

In the 17-minute clip, Rolene also addressed some of the assumptions people had of her, by answering if they were true or not.

This included rumours about her being pregnant, if she’s had plastic surgery and if she’s faced financial trouble.

Rolene also told fans that she used the prize money she won from both beauty pageants to fund her medical studies and how that affected her pocket
“After that, I did go through financial difficulties where I couldn’t buy all of the groceries I wanted to buy. There were certain things that I couldn’t do because I used all of my money to pay for my studies. I didn’t have an income. I was a student after that.”

This article first appeared on All4Women.

For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.